Teledentistry can be helpful for people who need dental care but cannot visit their dentist. Although the practice is relatively new and unknown to many, it can be a helpful resource to make use. Following closures due to the COVID-19 pandemic, more medical offices began offering this service. Now that businesses are back open, it’s…
Is Teledentistry Effective for Diagnosis and Treatment
Many patients are busy and are just seeking a professional opinion of their symptoms. In cases like these, one of the best alternatives to an office visit is a virtual consultation. In this article, we discuss what information a teledentist can effectively provide and when a traditional appointment is need to make a diagnosis or recommend treatment.
The effectiveness of teledentistry
Teledentistry involves using modern communication tools to diagnose and treat patients. It is currently the primary way people with non-emergency dental issues can get the treatments they need. It often involves using video chats, phone calls, text messages or data transfers. It provides a more convenient treatment option for patients. The average person only spends 17 minutes talking to a dentist or being treated for every hour spent at the clinic.
Teledentistry has been proven to be effective as patients who go this route have similar success rates with those who go for in-office treatments. Diagnoses made with teledentistry are typically as accurate as those made with visual examinations in the dentist's chair.
Only about 50 percent of people in the U.S. visit a dentist regularly and they usually make these visits when the dental issue they are dealing with has morphed into an emergency. People tend to hold off going to the dentist due to costs, dental phobia or the inconvenience it creates.
Teledentistry makes it easier for patients to get the treatments they need since they simply need internet access to connect with a dentist. It allows people with minor dental issues to tackle them when they occur instead of waiting for the problem to turn into something worse.
Dental procedures that can be effectively performed with teledentistry include:
- Assessments: Dentists can use teledentistry to assess their patients and determine if the person needs to come to the clinic.
- Prescriptions: Once a patient has been remotely assessed, the dentist can write an e-script for prescriptions, like antibiotics and pain killers.
- Supervision: Teledentistry can be used to monitor a patient’s progress after getting dental treatments. For example, it can be used to observe how orthodontic appliances, like braces, are moving a person’s teeth.
Many insurance providers now cover teledentistry as it becomes more popular as a way to provide dental care. Remote treatments also provide dental access to many who live far away from the dentist and those who do not have dental coverage. Dental costs are significantly reduced with teledentistry.
The benefits of teledentistry treatments include:
- Reduces the risk of infections for both the dentists and their patients.
- Allows patients to get the treatments they need from the comfort of their homes.
- Can be effectively used to diagnose and treat minor oral issues.
- Can be used to educate the patient on how to take proper care of their teeth.
- Provides a cheaper option for patients.
- Allows the dentist to monitor the patient’s progress after getting treatments.
Give teledentistry a try
Those with less pressing issues can be treated with teledentistry. Give us a call to start the process.
Teledentistry provides a way for dentists to provide treatments remotely to patients who are dealing with non-emergency dental issues. As a cultural change following the COVID-19 outbreak, patients will usually opt to receive a virtual visit before coming to the office. Many dentists also ask that if a patient is feeling under the weather, to…
Teledentistry is growing in popularity as the internet brings more services to your fingertips. Modern-day technology has allowed for the evolution of many things, including virtual dental care. Teledentistry is a great resource to make use of when you prefer staying home. The dentists who perform teledentistry are every bit as qualified as a traditional…